Tuesday 10 April 2018

Ani DiFranco - Binary - Album Review


Ani DiFranco
Binary
Righteous Babe/Aveline




If you were impressed by Oprah Winfrey’s Golden Globes speech, then let me introduce you to another confident, self-made woman of integrity who has also spent her life being a committed activist for positive change against the ‘isms we are familiar with and those we may not, like reproductive rights and patriarchy.  Ani believes equality is essential before we can solve the bigger issues. 
It deserves discussion because the pressing needs facing Earth, of poverty, access to water, starvation, wars, terrorism and environmental destruction are too important not to address.

The vocals sound somewhere between Grace Jones and Alanis Morrisette and the staccato delivery, whilst fitting the jazz rhythms well, doesn't offer the variety I was expecting.  The exceptional line in the song Play God about reproductive rights, “Every chance I can, I pay my taxes like any working man, and I feel I’ve earned My right to choose, you don’t get to play God, man, I do”, demonstrates her beliefs and a mastery of the written and spoken word, but I was dying to hear more melody, less words, and a little space to hear more flair from the whole band.

Influenced by Pete Seeger, Suzanne Vega and Michelle Shocked, Ani is not your typical pop star.  She’d “rather be able to face myself in the mirror than be rich and famous”.  It’s a shame there isn’t more like her so that she could relax to include more human stories like the track Pacifist’s Lament (“But there is nothing harder than to stop in the middle of a battle and say you're sorry”) but she confesses herself that “Some people wear their heart on their sleeve.  I wear mine strapped to my boot.”

Binary may not be my first choice for my living room, but as a politician with conviction, she’s my kind of presidential candidate.

NE






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Municipal Tip

  Following the signs for Bowels of Humanity, we descend the corkscrew of apocalypse into the cradle of filth. We are beckoned forward by a ...